Contributor: Carson Wiebe, Age 12, Calgary, AB
I love Mexican food, so this soup is my perfect comfort food. My mom designed the recipe so it’s unique.
- 1 1/3 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, finely chopped
- Taco seasoning (recipe below)
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (19 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (12 oz) corn kernels, drained
- 1 sweet yellow pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped cilantro for garnish
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips (your favorite kind)
- Lime wedges
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- ¾ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp dried oregano leaves
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp red chili flakes
- In a small bowl, stir together all the taco seasoning ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, toss the finely chopped chicken in the taco seasoning to coat well.
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeño. Cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the seasoned chicken and cook, stirring often, until the chicken is no longer pink inside, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the stock, tomatoes (with their juices), beans, corn, yellow pepper and lime juice. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Season with salt to taste.
- Ladle the soup into warm bowls and sprinkle each serving with cilantro. Serve with the toppings piled in separate bowls so everyone can help themselves to whatever they want on their soup.