If you’ve never roasted cabbage before, this recipe will inspire you to make it part of your regular repertoire. The wedges turn tender and buttery at high heat—with crisped, lightly browned edges. Wrapping them in bacon before roasting makes them even better!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts (8 to 12 ounces each)
- ½ small green cabbage, core intact, cut into 4 wedges
- 4 slices Whole30-compliant bacon
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Combine the olive oil, rosemary, garlic, sage, lemon zest, salt, and ½ teaspoon of the black pepper in a small bowl. Rub the seasoning over the chicken and underneath the skin with your fingers.
- Place the chicken, skin side up, on one side of a large rimmed baking pan. Roast the chicken for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wrap each cabbage wedge with one slice of bacon. Place the cabbage wedges on the other side of the baking pan. Sprinkle with the remaining ½ teaspoon black pepper. Roast until the internal temperature of the chicken is 170°F and the cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes more. Drizzle the chicken and cabbage with the lemon juice and serve.