This preserve is so versatile—sweet but with so much depth of flavor—that I guarantee you’ll find more uses than you’ll have enough jars for. - Lee Murphy
- 2 tsp fenugreek
- 1 tsp nigella/kalonji seeds
- 10 dried curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 5 lb cored and chopped green (unripe) tomatoes* (You will need about 51/2 lb of whole tomatoes)
- 4 lb (8 cups) sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Using a spice grinder or a mortar and pestle, grind fenugreek, nigella and curry leaves to a fine powder. Stir ground cardamom into mixture.
- Combine green tomatoes, sugar, lemon juice and ground spices in a jam pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat, cool and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, bring back to a boil and cook to set at 220°F; check set on a cold plate (see page 16).
- Let sit 5 minutes, then ladle into hot sterilized jars, wipe rims, place sterilized lids on jars and process 15 to 20 minutes.
- Perfect cheese pairing: Cave-aged Gruyère
- Other serving suggestions: On a fried egg, In curries
Copyright © 2017 Lee Murphy. Published in Canada by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.