There’s something glorious about grilled peaches. Grilling them heightens their sweet juiciness, and the note of smokiness adds com- plexity to the preserve. It’s also way too hot for jammin’ this time of year, and this extra step outdoors seemingly shortens the cooking time.
- 3 lb halved and pitted peaches (You will need about 4 lb of whole fruit)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb blackberries, lightly rinsed if needed
- 4 lb (8 cups) sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 lb candied ginger, finely chopped
- Brush cut side of peach halves with olive oil and place on a hot grill. Grill just until you have nice dark grill marks, then remove, place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 5 minutes; this will make removing the peach skins easier.
- Peel peaches and chop. Combine grilled chopped peaches, blackberries, sugar, lemon juice and ginger in a jam pot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cool and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, bring back to a boil and cook to set at 220°F; check set on a cold plate (see page 16).
- Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes, then ladle into hot sterilized jars, wipe rims, place sterilized lids on jars and process 10 to 15 minutes.
Copyright © 2017 Lee Murphy. Published in Canada by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.