Quesadillas are the ultimate quick lunchtime staple, and the possible variations are endless. This savory and sweet version is one of my favorites. A quick word about flour tortillas, though. Store-bought ones often contain a long list of scary preservatives (see page 32). It’s worth taking the time to carefully read the labels and buy cleaner versions from the refrigerator section of natural food stores. Or make your own.
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 small whole-grain flour tortillas (gluten-free, if preferred)
- 1/4 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped baby spinach leaves
- 1 tsp hemp hearts for added nutrition (sounds odd, but they blend in really well and omegas and fiber) (optional)
- Sprinkle half the cheese on one of the tortillas, then top with the chicken, spinach, the hemp hearts, if using, and slices of apple. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top, then place the other tortilla on top.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook for 3 minutes on each side until the apples are soft.
- Using a pizza cutter, slice into wedges to serve.
- You can dice the leftover apple and freeze it to add to a smoothie.
- Some other yummy quesadilla filling ideas: black beans + cheese + red bell pepper, pear + Manchego cheese, peanut butter + dried coconut + banana