The sauce for these savory meatballs gets a double dose of smoky goodness from the smoked paprika and the fire-roasted tomatoes.
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) Whole30-compliant fire- roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) Whole30-compliant tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and black pepper
For the meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey (see Tip)
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted green olives
- 1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 spaghetti squash, cooked and shredded into noodles
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Make the sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauce- pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, tomato paste, oregano, and paprika and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for 10 minutes more. Season with salt and black pepper.
Make the meatballs
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, onion, olives, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, salt, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Shape the mixture into twenty 1½-inch meatballs and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake the meatballs for 15 to 20 minutes, until the internal temperature is 160°F and no pink remains in the middle of the meatballs.
- Serve the meatballs and sauce over spaghetti squash noodles. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
- Do not use extra-lean ground chicken or turkey made from breast meat only. The meatballs need a little fat to help them hold together and to keep them from drying out.
Excerpted from The Whole30 Cookbook by Melissa Hartwig. Copyright © 2016 by Melissa Hartwig. Photography by Brent Herrig. Excerpted by permission of Viking Canada, an imprint of Penguin Canada Books Inc., a division of Penguin Random House of Canada Limited. All Rights Reserved.