I just feel better going into a school week knowing I’ve got at least one thing in the freezer that I can pull out to pack into lunches. these patties are often that one thing. they’re easy to whip up on the weekend and stand up to the lunch-box bounce-around. Broccoli is an excellent source of Vitamin C - important for immunity during school’s flu season - so we’re always happy to find a new way to tuck it into recipes.
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups (1 L) finely chopped broccoli florets
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) panko bread crumbs 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften. Add the broccoli and give everything a stir. Cook until the broccoli just begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, then whisk in the panko, cheddar and Parmesan. Add the broccoli mixture and stir to combine thoroughly. Use your hands to form six patties. Don’t worry about making them perfectly round, but do try to make them even in thickness. Arrange the patties on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the patties, then bake for another 10 minutes. Allow the patties to cool on the baking sheet and then store in an airtight container. They’ll keep for 3 or 4 days in the fridge and up to 3 months in the freezer.