Penguin Random House Canada is looking for a Marketing Manager with expertise in lifestyle and cookbook marketing. The Marketing Manager will have a particular focus on Appetite, our award-winning food and lifestyle imprint. Appetite publishes across a range of subjects, bringing books of regional, national and international flavour together in one unified lifestyle list, featuring such notable personalities as Anna Olson, Charles MacPherson, Deb Perelman, Yotam Ottolenghi and Estée Lalonde. The Marketing Manager will contribute to our overall expertise in lifestyle marketing, helping to develop tools, networks, and processes that can be used to further our reach across all our lifestyle publishing.
We are looking for a proactive and energetic marketing professional with a passion for food, culinary and lifestyle marketing. This position will be based in our Toronto office and will maintain excellent long-distance relationships with the Appetite publishing team based in Vancouver. This role will also support our Ten Speed Press, Clarkson Potter and Harmony titles distributed in Canada.
As Marketing Manager you will:
· Work with the Appetite publishing team and alongside sales counterparts, to develop marketing plans from acquisition through the life cycle of a title.
· Liaise with editorial, sales, publicity, marketing, consumer insights, and other teams to ensure seamless execution of marketing plans with a focus on audience development, author care and author brand management, and title sales.
· Work with third-party brands/companies and their teams to help bring their books to the widest possible readership
· Work with the Publisher to articulate the brand values of Appetite; and ensure that these values are communicated wherever the imprint is represented.
· Liaise with U.S. and international counterparts to ensure that key titles from distribution lists receive full and deliberate marketing planning and execution.
· Act as ‘project manager for marketing’ to ensure that all elements of key title marketing plans are executed on time, within budget, and are adapted if/as circumstances change.
· Write key title marketing plans and key title presentations (with input from all key participants and partners).
· Liaise with the marketing design team to write and copyedit all marketing and design assets (e.g. marketing plans; presentation materials; advertising materials; etc.)
· Ensure that key title descriptive copy and other metadata is kept up to date with most market-sensitive information (review quotes, award wins, etc.)
· Define strategy for divisional audience development, including through digital properties, in partnership with respective specialists. Manage content for division-specific online properties.
· Identify key backlist opportunities – anniversaries, events, tie-ins – and seasonal events; plan and maintain a calendar for these key imprint and title marketing opportunities.
· Communicate priorities and goals to wider marketing, publicity, and other teams.
· Work closely with assigned publicists to ensure that key authors have full “brand management” service; serve as ambassador for excellence in author care.
· Work alongside the Publisher to ensure imprint representation at events and in key networking and industry liaison situations. Some public speaking may be required.
· Understanding of all elements of marketing processes with demonstrated experience in food and lifestyle marketing.
· A strong network of media contacts and influencers in the Canadian lifestyle and food industry.
· Familiarity with trends in food, lifestyle, design, health and beauty.
· Experience working with and marketing restaurateurs, food festivals, food and/or lifestyle entrepreneurs would be an asset.
· Familiarity with the Canadian publishing and books retail landscape (with a particular focus on marketing and sales; and an understanding of editorial processes) would be an asset.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to write with respect for tone and audience.
· Ability to track, administer, and spend budget responsibly.
· Strong design sensibility; interest in identity design.
· A collaborative working style alongside the ability to speak with authority. The ability to lead a discussion and command a room; but to facilitate inclusive and collaborative discussions.
· Experience with social media marketing and strong awareness of social & digital platforms.
The position is located in our Toronto office. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and their resume to CanadaSalesMarketingApps@penguinrandomhouse.com.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Penguin Random House Canada encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 416-364-4449, if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process, or want more information on our accommodation policies.