Penguin Random House Canada is looking for an Assistant to provide administrative and everyday support to the President & Publisher. This is a unique opportunity for a candidate to learn the mechanics of the Canadian book business, with an emphasis on publishing and editorial processes, and best practices and budgeting. It will put you in contact with a wide variety of internal and external publishing colleagues, authors, agents and industry professionals in a fast paced learning environment.
What You’ll Do:
· Coordinate and maintain the calendar of the President and Publisher: booking all travel, business lunches, personal appointments, organizing conference calls, meetings, book fairs, festivals, and coordinating schedules across different continents and time zones.
· Prepare or assist in the preparation of correspondence, special reports or projects; respond to phone calls; organize and respond to mail; provide budget support; compile material for meetings, launches, and conferences; create PowerPoint presentations.
· Plan and manage internal and external events, including formal receptions, informal gatherings between colleagues, all executed with an eye to detail regardless of scale.
· Prepare and compile documents and agendas for regularly scheduled meetings.
· Coordinate and keep up to date databases managing the flow of information across the imprints at PRHC.
· Coordinate information and update materials used to showcase PRHC imprints, authors, publishers and editors at international book fairs and festivals.
· Liaise with editorial assistants, the EA to the CEO and the direct reports and peers of the President & Publisher on a daily basis.
· You have a high degree of interest in the publishing landscape and the Canadian books industry.
· Thrive in a fast-paced environment.
· Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Acrobat Pro and Outlook.
· Comfortable using online collaboration tools. (e.g. Google Docs, Slack)
· High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
· Highly organized individual with the ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities.
· Ability to identify need for changing systems and methods and to establish and execute them, with a keen eye for improvement and the initiative and drive necessary in initiating new practices.
· Dynamic thinker in possession of excellent time management skills, flexibility and resourcefulness under pressure.
· Strong communication and copywriting skills to liaise effectively with team members, agents, authors, as well as external clients and contacts.
· Ability to work independently much of the time.
· Ability to understand and anticipate the needs of the President & Publisher, and work in a confidential environment.
· An eye for good design.
· Professional, positive attitude with a willingness to learn.
· University degree or post-secondary education.
· Some experience in publishing or a creative environment a benefit but not required.
· Some experience with executive support at a senior level a benefit but not required.
· A love of books.
The position is located in our Front Street office and reports to the President & Publisher.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 22, 2017.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Penguin Random House Canada encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 416-364-4449, if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process, or want more information on our accommodation policies.